Re: [2.6.3-rc1] ide-scsi burning broken

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 15:03:13 EST

Willem Riede wrote:
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:10:37 +0200, Markus Hästbacka wrote:

Hi list,
I was going to burn a cd earlier today, and I noticed it wont work in
2.6.3-rc1, k3b (the burning software) just freezed in 'D' state, and
after a moment I got something like this in my dmesg:
/dec/sr0 drive not ready!
/dec/sr0 drive not ready!
/dec/sr0 drive not ready!
[x1000]
So I guess the ide-scsi patches broke up things.

The burning in 2.6.1-mm4 works fine.

I know I should use ide-cd whatever, but I've always done it with
ide-scsi and I wont easily change that.

I doubt that changes in ide-scsi caused this, you just ran out of luck :-(
Since you're not supposed to use ide-scsi for cd writing (as you admit
knowing), nobody is going to help you with this problem...

I think CD burning is like the canary in the coal mine, if it stops working something is broken. It may be "better" to burn with ide-cd, in some hope of avoiding overhead which is small beyond measurement for data CDs on most systems, but it should work, and the fact that it has stopped working probably indicates something has changed which will later rise up to bite us with IDE tape, or MO, or avoiding ide-floppy for ZIP, or whatever.

If you think of it as a test program for the interface it matches reality better, except that many people cross boot between 2.4 and 2.5, don't want to build using Joreg's odd idea of header files, and generally use this interface for production use.

--
bill davidsen, TMR