Re: Does anyone still care about BSD ptys?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 14:50:58 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone still care about old-style BSD ptys, i.e. /dev/pty*? I'm
thinking of restructuring the pty system slightly to make it more
dynamic and to make use of the new larger dev_t, and I'd like to get
rid of the BSD ptys as part of the same patch.

Sorry, last reply "just went" for some reason... ijn any case I hope the number and tone of replies has shown that a number of people DO care, and that "you can just program around it with your effort instead of mine" isn't going to be popular.

In other words, this sounds more like 2.7 material where people expect things to change than something which should just suddenly break in 2.6. Violation of Plauger's Law of Least Astonishment and all that.

--
I doubt like hell this mailer has a sig...