Re: Very preliminary dynamic pty patch

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 13:30:19 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:25:36 GMT, hpa@xxxxxxxxx (H. Peter Anvin) said:

Try it out and send me the oopsen :)

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hpa/dynpty-test-1.patch

Eyeball checked only, 2 comments:

1) Will the embedded crew object to the removal of CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS?
I can see some systems that don't want either SysV or BSD pty's, unless
they're deeply ingrained in some way I don't understand so you can't have
a system with exactly one tty on a DB-9 serial port for a console without having them present too.

2) How much extra code to axe the BSD-style PTYs?

Actually it looks like it wouldn't be too much code either way. I'll probably make them both config options (with removal of the entire pty subsystem if one chooses no on both.)

-hpa