Re: dmapool (was: Re: Linux 2.6.3-rc2)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 11:30:59 EST

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 02:55:58PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:32:47PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > This patch seems to fix the problem (all offending platforms include
> > > <asm/generic.h> if CONFIG_PCI only):
> >
> > Umm, no the whole point of the dmapool is that it's not pci-dependent.
> > Just fix your arch to have proper stub dma_ routines. There were at
> > least two headsups during 2.5 and 2.6-test that this will be required.
>
> Exactly. Why is your arch including a header file that you can't build?

It's included if CONFIG_PCI is enabled (for the few m68k platforms that do have
PCI). In that case everything should work fine (fingers crossed).

> How about dropping this into your arch if you can't use the
> include/asm-generic/dma-mapping.h file. Or I can add it as
> include/asm-generic/dma-mapping-broken.h and you can repoint your arch
> to use it. Which would be easier for you?

Since others may need it as well, include/asm-generic/dma-mapping-broken.h
should be fine.

Let's see what the sparc guys have to comment...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds