Re: Does anyone still care about BSD ptys?

From: Karl Tatgenhorst
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 19:48:31 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone still care about old-style BSD ptys, i.e. /dev/pty*? I'm
thinking of restructuring the pty system slightly to make it more
dynamic and to make use of the new larger dev_t, and I'd like to get
rid of the BSD ptys as part of the same patch.

-hpa

Hi,

Thanks for asking. I had a critical application that depended on them until last week and am now happy to say that even they have moved on (I protested the small number of available ptys and explained the direction that Unix is going with Unix98 style ptys. Now I depend on those. I would be very interested in seeing what you do with your pty restructuring as I have a large amount of serial devices.

Karl Tatgenhorst