DBT-3 PostgreSQL performance on 2.6

From: Mary Edie Meredith
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 18:51:27 EST

At OSDL we compared the performance of 2.4.24 versus 2.6 base
kernels using one of our database workloads, DBT3, on PostgreSQL.
(This models a Decision Support type of database, aka 'DSS').
We used the deadline scheduler on 2.6 kernels.

DBT-3 has a single stream phase and a multi-stream phase. In the
single stream phase a single query runs on the system, whereas
the multi-stream phase has an active query per CPU. So we are
talking about always a small number of active processes.
This workload does not swap on either kernel. It consumes a
great deal of memory, and drives a lot of 8k IO's to the disk,
mostly read IO.

The 2.6 kernels performed better than 2.4.24 for the single stream test,
but worse for the multi-stream test for both 4-CPU and 8-CPU systems.

Here is the 8-way data (all numbers are percent improvements
relative to 2.4.24):

8-way
kernel single multi
2.4.24 base base
2.6.2 1.3 -4.26
2.6.1-mm5 0.29 -12.38
2.6.1 6.78 -7.02
2.6.0 7.04 -15.15

Since PostgreSQL does not support direct I/O, we are currently
investigating the possibility that system defaults (e.g. vm
tuning parameters like dirty_expire_centisec) are not optimal
for this workload. Other suggestions welcome.

For more data (4-way, AS scheduler, latest 4-way and 8-way runs) see
http://developer.osdl.org/maryedie/DBT3_PGSQL/investigation.html

For the complete report describing the system layout and workload see:
http://developer.osdl.org/maryedie/DBT3_PGSQL/Study_DBT3_PGSQL_wkld.html

--
Mary Edie Meredith <maryedie@xxxxxxxx>
Test and Performance Group