Problem with ide-scsi and DMA

From: Markus Gaugusch
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 17:03:06 EST

Hi,
I'm using 2.4.24 on two different machines (laptop, via kt133a and desktop
with nforce2 chipset). Both have IDE cd writers and I use hdc=scsi as boot
parameter. The laptop works fine, but the desktop not:
# modprobe ide-scsi
hdc: attached ide-scsi driver.
hdc: DMA disabled

If I want to enable DMA with hdparm, I get this error:

/dev/hdc:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

Only if I remove the ide-scsi module, I can set DMA again, reloading
ide-scsi disables dma.
I also tried echo using_dma:1 > /proc/ide/hdc/settings
It works fine without ide-scsi, but is stuck at 0 with ide-scsi (no
errors in syslog).

All above things (hdparm, ...) work on the other machine, so it seems to
be a problem with the nforce2 ide controller (brand-new Asus A7N8X-X
board) and ide-scsi.
I don't use any GPL-conflicting modules (disabled onboard network and
added a realtek card). Kernel compiler is gcc 3.3.1 from SuSE 9.0.

kind regards
Markus Gaugusch