Re: [BUG]linux-2.4.24 with k8 numa support panic when init scsi

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 02:01:00 EST

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:53:56 +0800
lepton <lepton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I disabled "Node Memory Interleave" setting in BIOS. The kernel will
> boot. It saids It could't find numa configuration.But the scsi disk is
> unusable after boot.File system on scsi disk can not be mounted. The kernel
> complain about some file system error.
>
> If I set "Node Memoey Interleave" to "Auto",the kernel will panic in the
> init process of scsi.

And it boots with numa=off ?

> Another problem perhaps has no relation with this problem is that the
> system won't reboot automatic after panic although I have set panic=1
> in boot.

Try reboot=bios or reboot=triple

> The scsi card I am using is a Adaptec SCSI Card 29160LP.
>
> I have tested linux kernel-2.6.1/2.6.2, all of them has no such problem.

Compiled with NUMA on I suppose?

> Others has use United Linux in the server serveral moths ago.I know the
> kernel comes with the distrbution (2.4.19) works fine too.

The original UnitedLinux install didn't default to NUMA, unless
you installed the special k_numa kernel. Later SPs did.
If you used an NUMA kernel can you please check which kernel
revision (between 2.4.20 and 2.4.24) broke it?

> Bootdata ok (command line is ro root=/dev/hda2 console=ttyS0,19200 panic=1)
> Linux version 2.4.24 (root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc version 3.3.2 20030908 (Debian prerelease)) #1 SMP Mon Feb 9 02:01:47 UTC 2004

I'm a bit suspicious of this compiler. Any chance you could try it with a gcc 3.2 too?

[...]

The boot output for the NUMA scanning looks ok, I cannot see what's wrong with it.

-Andi