Re: [Infiniband-general] Getting an Infiniband access layer in theLinux kernel

From: Troy Benjegerdes
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 21:57:07 EST

> > Why do you want to run your code in both places? Does this mean that it
> > doesn't even really need to be in the kernel as it works just fine in
> > userspace?

> The user-mode IBAL library depends on the kernel mode IBAL driver to setup
> InfiniBand resources for use, and for the operations that can't be
> offloaded, like memory registrations. Further, the kernel IBAL driver
> tracks user-mode resources on a per-process basis to ensure they are freed
> if an application seg faults. This is a must so that things like memory
> registrations get cleaned up and the associated memory unlocked even in
> abnormal application termination situations.

We really *do* want to share code. We want both the user and kernel
code to use the same code paths for direct access to infiniband storage
devices, for example.

What I think is really needed is a mechanism for user level code to
call code provided by the loaded kernel module. I suspect this could be
done with some proper memory mappings and small user-level shim layers,
but I know there is something I'm forgetting.

Troy Benjegerdes 'da hozer' hozer@xxxxxxxxx

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz