Re: IPV4 as module?

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 16:29:07 EST

On Sun, 2004-02-08 03:14:20 +0100, Tomasz K?oczko <kloczek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <Pine.LNX.4.58L.0402080257060.29247@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-04 23:06:10 +0300, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxx>
> > wrote in message <20040204200610.GB3802@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > Any technical reaon IPV4 cannot be built as module? Current kernel
> > > barely fits on floopy (even with IDE as module); factoring out IPV4
> > > would allow to reduce size even more.
> >
> > Some hard work need to be done to do that, but why shouldn't a kernel
> > fit onto a floppy? My vmlinuz'es are at about 600 to 900 KB for i386 and
> > a floppy can handle nearly about twice that size...
>
> Better will be ask why you must recompile kernel for add ipv4 abilities
> if you uses (olny) for example ipv6 stack ? :)

That's the other way around :) Let's just omit legacy IPv4!

> PS. Many modern PCs wave now only CD drive .. one CD can fit much
> more than kernel image and all kernel modules. So step your quostion path
> it will be "much more correct" ask why the hell kernel is (still ?)
> modular (?) 8^>

That's not all correct. You can fit 700 MB data on a CD-ROM, but booting
is still emulated from a 1.44 MB floppy (or some other floppy/HDD
images, but many BIOSses won't accept those (or handle them correctly)).

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg