2.6.2: psmouse.c: .... Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization,throwing 3 bytes away.

From: fire-eyes
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 01:19:36 EST

Please CC: me, as I am not subscribed to this list.

I am using kernel 2.6.2 with SMP support on an Asus A7M-266D motherboard. I am using a Logitech M-BJ69 ps/2 mouse.

While in xfree, twice today I had the following happen:

While using the mouse, the pointer suddenly jumped wildly all over the place, I heard exactly two PC speaker beeps, then I got control back. This took about a quarter second in total. After that, no mouse button worked, including wheels.

I ctl-alt-backspace out of xfree. I check my load and it is high. I'm using xfce 4.0.3 window manager, and xfwm4 is taking up 99.9% of cpu. I need to kill -9 it. Not sure if xfce4 is actually a problem, I don't see how it would affect the mouse.

Both times I got the following error in logs:

kernel: psmouse.c: Explorer Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 3 bytes away.

Here is some more info on my system:

Gentoo Linux
glibc-2.3.3_pre20040117
gcc (GCC) 3.2.3 20030422 (Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r1, propolice)
xfree 4.3.99.902

Now what stands out there is the xfree version. I never had this error in 4.3.0.

Starting xfree and xfce4, I get the following in logs. And yes it really is this many times:

atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.

Is there any further info I can provide to help solve a possible problem?

Thanks!