Re: PATCH - ext2fs privacy (i.e. secure deletion) patch

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 07:02:25 EST

the grugq wrote:
> As I now understand, you are proposing a file system which has per file
> encryption where the key is stored in the inode. The inode is then the
> only location with senstive data which needs to be removed.

Yes.

> Also, this proposal seems to me more related to how to implement an
> encrypted file system, than how to implement secure deletion on existing
> file systems.

Not really, this is pointing out an alternative means of secure
deletion _if_ you have encryption. The points I wanted to make were,
most important first:

- Overwriting data does not always do what you think it does.
Several block devices _do not_ overwrite the same storage blocks.
Thus it is dangerous to call something "secure deletion"
when it might not do anything at all.

- Filesystems on top of encrypted block devices _do_ need
overwriting-based secure deletion, if they are of the type where
the block encryption key is derived from the block offset and device
key only.

- Eraseable per-file keys may be a more secure way of destroying
data than overwriting data on a magnetic medium.

-- Jamie