Re: Need help about scanner (2.6.2-mm1)

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 23:09:14 EST

On Friday 06 February 2004 20:58, Steve Kieu wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Your help saved me lot of headache :-)

Thanks for the flowers.

> --- Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >
>On Friday 06 February 2004 18:57, Steve Kieu
>
>wrote:
>>
>> Take any device paths out of
>> the /usr/local/etc/saned/nameofyourscanner.dll
>
>just .conf ; not dll :-)

Can I plead alzheimers or something? Working with ancient grey matter
here. Its working on the 70th trip around our star. :-)

>> leaving only a single [usb] as a specifier unless
>
>Yes it saved me. It work now. Why no other sane
>documentation said like yours? I think people at sane
>project should take your point to add to their
>documentation.

I don't ATM recall exactly where I first heard or read about this.

Maybe in the libusb docs? No, not a thing, even clear back up to the
root dir of the libusb archive. Maybe I got it from the sane list?

In any event, thats too damned hard to find and if the libusb author
is copying the mail here, that little detail really should be added
to the README and/or INSTALL.libusb raw text files, or to a FAQ on
the libusb website, the quicker of the two alternatives if this
version of the library is stable (and it seems so to me).

The authors doc/html files are quite complete, I just read them all,
but they attack *only* the api the programmer would use, and the
actual non-programming user who just wants to use his scanner with
this new-fangled system gets hung out to dry. This question gets
asked, and answered the same way, many times on the sane list too.

It may have been added to the sane-backend docs in a recent version,
I'm at least one version out of date here, not being inclined to "fix
something thats not broken" at my home site. :-)

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)