Re: Limit hash table size

From: Taneli Vähäkangas
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 16:55:41 EST

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:27:52PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Taneli Vähäkangas <taneli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > OTOH, I'd very much
> > appreciate if the system didn't act very sluggish during updatedb.
>
> It really helps if your filesystems were laid out by a 2.6 kernel. What
> usually happens at present is that you install the distro using a 2.4
> kernel and then install 2.6. So all those files under /usr/bin and
> /usr/include and everywhere else are laid down by the 2.4 kernel.

Actually, I just moved my root and /usr partitions to another hard drive
on Monday using tar on the same 2.6 system. Should that have helped? I
didn't notice any improvement, but the new drive may be a little slower
(its about the same age (6 years?) and capacity (4G), but from a laptop).
Maybe I should move also /home over and see if it improves? It is 4 and
a half years old, and probably made with 2.2 kernel. That will require a
little more effort, since I don't have a replacement HD.

Taneli