Re: [2.6 patch] remove USB_SCANNER

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 15:59:49 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 05 February 2004 12:20, Azog wrote:

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 17:14, Greg KH wrote:

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 01:31:36AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

[...]

If not, please apply the patch below plus do a
rm drivers/usb/image/scanner.{c,h}

I've applied this patch, and removed the driver from the kernel.

(sigh) Just last night I had to reboot into 2.4 to use my new USB
scanner.

I tried for a while to get it working under 2.6. I'm not exactly a
beginner at this stuff either.

With 2.4 it took less than 30 seconds and worked perfectly,
following the SANE documentation instructions. My user space is
Fedora Core 1 with all available updates.

So, what are you all using / recommending for user space
configuration and control of a USB scanner under 2.6?

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt doesn't say
a word about USB scanners, and I havn't seen the issue mentioned
anywhere else either.

I dunno what the problem might be on your mobo, but here, the latest version of libusb (1.7 I believe) "just works" with virtually any 2.6 kernel so far. You may want to turn on the verbose debugging in your .config file, rebuild and reboot. It might be educational.

I think the problem is not that it doesn't work with kernel, but it doesn't work with the application. And while some people may be able to ignore having a system which will work with both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, for many systems it may not be practical to change config to something which will not work in 2.4 in hopes it might work in 2.6.

Marking the old driver as broken is fine, taking it out will certainly prevent anyone from fixing it. Better to have it around, I would think.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc