Re: 2.4.25-rc1: BUG: wrong zone alignment, it will crash

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 10:40:43 EST

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Michael Frank wrote:

> > > 300MB HIGHMEM available.
> > > 195MB LOWMEM available.
> > > On node 0 totalpages: 126960
> > > zone(0): 4096 pages.
> > > zone(1): 46064 pages.
> > > zone(2): 76800 pages.
> > > BUG: wrong zone alignment, it will crash

> It is supposed to work, just a bug in the zone alignment code.

The error isn't in the kernel, it's between the chair and the keyboard.
You have created a lowmem zone of a size that doesn't correctly
align with the largest blocks used by the buddy allocator.

> I have have to use HIGHMEM emulation for testing.

Then you'll need to choose a different size for the highmem=
parameter, one that doesn't cause an unaligned boundary.

Alternatively, you could submit a patch so the highmem= boot
option parsing code does the aligning for you.

However, that would simply be an improvement to the kernel and
nothing like a bug you can demand to get fixed now.