Re: Create a message board?

From: LJN
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 08:17:36 EST

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 02:08, raymond jennings wrote:
> Would a message board based forum help to alleviate some of the mailing list
> traffic by keeping information exchanges thread local (no pun intended)?
> This way the developers specializing in a certain portion of the kernel
> aren't swamped with information about something totally irrelevant, thus
> they can focus on what they know. Example: File system programmers getting
> messages relating to sound cards.
>
> I am interested in any feedback on this idea.

I'd say that's covered pretty much by the FAQ, section 3, point 23.:

23. Why don't you split the list, such as having one each for the
development and stable series?

(REG, by "hacksaw") It's true that the lkml is a high traffic list and
can be a lot to handle. However, splitting the list wouldn't help, since
most developers would just subscribe to both lists. In fact, there would
then be extra traffic, because of the number of issues that hit both the
development and stable kernels, or even farther back!