Re: kgdb support in vanilla 2.6.2

From: La Monte H.P. Yarroll
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 18:46:26 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

It seems that some kgdb support is in 2.6.2-linus:

Lots of architectures have had in-kernel kgdb support for a long time. Just none of the three which I use :(

I wouldn't support inclusion of i386 kgdb until it has had a lot of
cleanup, possible de-featuritisification and some thought has been applied
to splitting it into arch and generic bits. It's quite a lot of work.

Amit has started at least the third activity--he has split much of kgdb
into arch and generic bits.

Could you elaborate a little on the first two?

What major kinds of cleanup are we talking about? Style issues?

What features (or classes of features) do you find excessive? Would
it be sufficient to add a few config items to control subfeatures
of kgdb?

These are not idle questions. If the amount of work to get it ready
for acceptance is tractable, I know a company that may be willing to
pay to have the work done.