2.6.x: local APIC results in hang at boot

From: mcornils
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 20:01:43 EST

Hello,

I've tested this with 2.6.2-rc3 and kernels before that; when I activate
the "Enable local APIC" question the kernel hangs with:

POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
enabled ExtInt on CPU#0
ESR value before enabling vector: 00000000
ESR value after enabling vector: 00000000
Using local APIC timer interrupts.
calibrating APIC timer ...
..... CPU clock speed is 1399.0856 MHz.
..... host bus clock speed is 99.0989 MHz.
NET: Registered protocol family 16
EISA bus registered
PCI: Using configuration type 1
mtrr: v2.0 (20020519)
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20040116
ACPI: IRQ9 SCI: Edge set to Level Trigger.

and then nothing happens.

On request, I can send the boot log from the same kernel without local
APIC compiled-in; you can also get it from
http://www.usta.de/RefAk/Aussen/privat/apic-works.log

As I said, it works without the option. (So, this is a problem for
people using distribution/generic kernels with the Local-APIC option
enabled)

This is an Asus Centrino notebook (M2400N) with 1,4 GHz, latest BIOS
update and so on. When I enable the local APIC but disable ACPI, it
works too - ACPI is used to reroute some interrupts and make e.g. sound
work.

Yours,
-Malte Cornils