Re: module-init-tools/udev and module auto-loading

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 13:14:59 EST

Greg KH wrote:
> Rusty had it correct in that you need to try to load for the type of
> module:
> alias eth1 tulip
> alias usb-controller usb-ohci
> and so on. That's the much better way.

Shouldn't these things be autodetected?

"alias usb-controller" is a poor example. Shouldn't the kernel
automatically load drivers for all USB controllers that are found?
(On my system, there's more than one type, which makes "alias
usb-controller" even uglier).

"alias eth1" may be necessary to bind discovered NICs with the right
interface names, but it's unfortunate. One system where I had "alias
eth0 ..." failed to boot after a kernel upgrade when the named driver
no longer supported that network card (a different driver took over
support).

-- Jamie