Re: 2.6.1 slower than 2.4, smp/scsi/sw-raid/reiserfs

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 04:00:45 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Philip Martin wrote:

Nick Piggin <piggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Its got 512MB RAM though so its not swapping, is it?

No, it's not swapping.

Philip, can you please send about 30 seconds of vmstat 1
output for 2.4 and 2.6 while the test is running. Thanks

OK. I rebooted, logged in, shutdown the network, ran find to fill the
memory, then did make clean, make -j4, make clean, make -j4. The
vmstat numbers are for the middle of the second make -j4. I'm using
Debian's procps 3.1.15-1.

2.4.24

procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
2 2 0 13848 95012 304080 0 0 0 976 263 811 84 16 0 0

snip

2.6.1

procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system-- ----cpu----
r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
5 0 0 25528 241032 44500 0 0 0 0 1020 1315 63 37 0 0

snip

Another thing I just saw - you've got quite a lot of memory in
buffers which might be something going wrong.

When the build finishes and there is no other activity, can you
try applying anonymous memory pressure until it starts swapping
to see if everything gets reclaimed properly?

Was each kernel freshly booted and without background activity
before each compile?

Thanks