Toshiba IDE support: drivers/ide/pci/generic.c

From: Ben Schofield
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 17:32:10 EST

Hi all,

I've been having some problems with the IDE controller on my aged Portege 3440CT's port replicator, which I think I've now fixed, and I'd appreciate someone else's opinion before I submit a patch.

The problem is that the controller reports itself with a vendor ID of 1179 (Toshiba) and a device ID of 0105 (unknown). In the 2.4.18 kernel, this was fine, since drivers/ide/ide-pci.c recognised it as an unknown IDE device and all was well.

Somewhere between 2.4.18 and 2.4.22, the PCI IDE code seems to have been re-organised, and ide/generic.c seems not to have all the necessary code for unrecognised IDE devices. However, 1179:0103 is listed there as a Toshiba Piccolo controller, and adding 1179:0105 with the same data makes things work fine.

Toshiba Piccolo support seems to have been removed entirely from generic.c in 2.6.2-rc3-bk1. This seems to have affected at least Jérôme Augé, who submitted a patch for a similar problem on 08/01 this year, containing

#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_TOSHIBA_PICCOLO 0x0102

So, I would guess that it's safe to assume at least 1179:0102, 1179:0103 and 1179:0105 are Toshiba Piccolo controllers.

Should I submit this as a patch? If I should, which kernel versions should I submit it against?

Thanks in advance,

Ben.