Re: PATCH: (as177) Add class_device_unregister_wait() andplatform_device_unregister_wait() to the driver model core

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 21:54:54 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Recovery of the scsi core is IMO one the smallest problems, but how do you
> > recover at the block layer? The point is that you have here theoretically
> > more one recovery strategy, but simply pulling out the module leaves you
> > not much room for a controlled recovery.
>
> Block layer is not too big issue. We have almost everything in the tree
> already - the main problem is to get check_disk_change() use regularized.
> Now, sound and character devices in general...

Hmm, I more meant "user controlled recovery", the simplest strategy is of
course to throw everything away and that should be indeed not too
difficult, but I don't really think that this is user prefered strategy if
he accidentally unplugs/plugs a device. OTOH that the simple strategy
works reliably is of course a prerequisite to even think about an any more
advanced recovery.
But with the current module infrastructure the user has not much choice
anyway, without any indication of module usage state the user can only
guess what will happen when he tries to unload a module, so that currently
the best advice is indeed: don't do it.

bye, Roman