Re: RFC: Trailing blanks in source files

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 14:26:10 EST

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:13:58 +0100 David Weinehall <tao@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:51:34PM -0600, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:
| > > It seems that many files [1] in the Linux source have lines with
| > > trailing blank (space and tab) characters and some even have formfeed
| > > characters. Obviously these blank characters aren't necessary.
| >
| > Actually, they are necessary.
| >
| > http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_23.html
| > http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_24.html
|
| Let me quote CodingStyle:
|
| "First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards,
| and NOT read it. Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture."
|
| That's how much relevance GNU's coding standards have to the kernel.

Thank you, I had forgotten that one and I was wondering what the
heck those web pages had to do with anything (kernel).

So please don't bother with just whitespace changes unless you
are going to cleanup a <driver | fs | module | etc> completely.

--
~Randy
kernel-janitors project: http://janitor.kernelnewbies.org/