Re: Is there a way to keep the 2.6 kjournald from writing to idledisks? (to allow spin-downs)

From: Bart Samwel
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 13:56:22 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Well, it's the o.p. system, not mine, but I don't see how noatime will
help him, the atime shouldn't change unless he's doing disk access, and
if he's doing disk access the disk will spin up anyway.

The place noatime helps is when actually doing reads to open files, and
getting an inode update free with every read. His problem is that
something really is accessing the drive, and he won't get the desired
spindown until that's addressed.

If something really is accessing the drive, noatime might still help as long as the accesses are from the cache. BTW, it wasn't clear to me from his posts that he knows that something is _really_ accessing the drive, I thought he only had kjournald activity -- and that might be explained by atime updates. But I might have missed something of course!

I hope the original poster is following this ;-)

I added him to the CC list again. That should fix it. :)

-- Bart