Re: removable media revalidation - udev vs. devfs or static /dev

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 22:45:00 EST

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> I am even happy in a somewhat more general situation that you are.
> If the kernel autopartitions (and make recognition of new partitions
> hotplug events so that udev can create the device nodes), all is well.

Yes. We _could_ do that, by just making a "we noticed the disk change" be
a hotplug event. However, I'm loath to do that, because some devices
literally don't even have an easily read disk change signal, so what they
do is

- assume the disk _always_ changed on open
- do a quick IO to verify it

and I'd be nervous about that kind of thing resulting in hotplug being
called constantly if somebody rude just has an endless loop of
"open()/close()".

Linus