Re: Best Low-cost IDE RAID Solution For 2.6.x? (OT?)

From: bill davidsen
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 18:51:16 EST

In article <20031230094157.A7191@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Wakko Warner <wakko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| > > Faster than the mylex extreme raid 2000? or one of the higher end adaptecs?
| >
| > Even faster than HP/Compaq cciss hwraid setups, yes.
|
| I've personally not had any experience with any hardware raid other than the
| mylex DAC960 family.
|
| One thing that keeps me from using the linux raid sw is the fact it can't be
| partitioned. I thought about lvm/evms, but I'm unwilling to make an initrd to
| set it up (mounting root). Unfortunately boot loaders don't seem to support
| anything other than raid1. (Mostly lilo, but I'm not sure grub would do this
| either)

What? You do the RAID on partitions, so you can do anything you want.
They don't aven have to be the same type RAID, I once ran fours drives
with a small 0+1 partiton (2+2) for reliability and read performance,
and a large partition of the rest of the drives RAID-5. Different stripe
size, because one array had many small reads and the other many large
reads.

You can do anything you have the guts to do, except change partition
size once you are setup.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc