Re: Inconsistency in sysfs behavior?

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 17:25:34 EST

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:50:24PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> >
> > I had in mind approaching this the opposite way. Instead of trying to
> > make open directories also pin a kobject, why not make open attribute
> > files not pin them?
> >
> > It shouldn't be hard to avoid any errors; in fact I had a patch from some
> > time ago that would do the trick (although in a hacked-up kind of way).
> > The main idea is to return -ENXIO instead of calling the show()/store()
> > routines once the attribute has been removed.
>
> And you can do this without adding another lock, race free?

I used dentry->d_inode->i_sem. While I'm not very familiar with the ins
and outs of the filesystem code, that ought to be safe enough.

The real problem was finding a way to indicate that the file was
disconnected from its kobject. I did that by setting
dentry->d_inode->i_mode to 0. (I didn't want to erase dentry->d_fsdata
for fear that it might be needed somewhere else.) That's definitely not a
good way; it was intended only for my proof-of-principle. No doubt
someone else could do a much better job.

Alan Stern