Re: Slow receive with AX8817 USB2 ethernet adapter

From: Måns Rullgård
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 11:59:31 EST

David T Hollis <dhollis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 10:54, David T Hollis wrote:

>> Hmm, I am seeing the same results using ttcp:
>>
> Some more results. This time I walked away for a few minutes, came back
> and ran the test again and started getting the 10MB numbers again. No
> driver unload, etc. Interesting thing is the I/O calls and time per
> call. I'm curious as to whether the varying results are tied to memory
> allocation, locking, or what.

Just a very unscientific observation: my laptop emits a noise when the
ethernet is used. The pitch depends on the transfer rate. When
communicating with a working machine, and receiving from the ax8817,
there is a continuous high-pitch sound. When sending to the ax8817,
the sound has a much lower pitch (not surprising) and is also
intermittent with bursts lasting < 1/2 second followed by an
approximately 1/2 second pause. The lights on the switch behave
similarly.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@xxxxxx