Re: bad scancode for USB keyboard

From: Bernardo Innocenti
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 21:35:55 EST

Fredrik Olausson wrote:

(I've re-posted to lkml in case someone else finds it useful)

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
I have a USB keyboard (Logitech Internet Navigator).
This keyboard has two "backslash + bar" keys, one of which
is located next to the RETURN key.

The backslash key always worked fine in 2.4.x, but in 2.6.x
and 2.6.0, the scancode reported by showkey is "84", which is
usually associated with the "Prevconsole" function in most
keymaps.

Editing the keymap fixes the problem, but of course this must
be a bug in the kernel driver. I compared the 2.4.23 version
of kbdmap.c with 2.6.0, but didn't find any obvious reason for
this difference.

I have the same problem with a Logitech cordless desktop.
I can easily change the keycode to generate the right characters when in console-mode, but XFree gives that key and the Print Screen key the same keycode.
After changing the xmodmap I can get the unmodified character, but modifiers doesn't work, it just gives me the same character not matter what modifier I use (shift, alt, alt_gr etc.)

I had fixed my console keymap too, but I've not been able to
figure out how to change the X keymap. I've been looking in
the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/ directory, but perhaps XKB is not
being used for old-style keyboard mapping?

Could you provide detailed instructions? C coding with missing
backslash and bar keys is quite hard :-)

Of course, I still thing its' a 2.6 kernel bug and it should be
fixed. Vojtech, do you have an idea why it's happening?

\X/ http://www.develer.com/