Re: [autofs] [RFC] Towards a Modern Autofs

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 17:23:26 EST

Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:06:34PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>>>Can you maybe share some details? I think this deign moves MORE state to
>>>userspace (expiry aside). The "state" in kernel is really mostly sent back
>>>to userspace. No more passing pipes into the kernel (state) or tracking the
>>>pgid of the daemon (state).
>>
>>If you want to fire up a new daemon, all that state that was supposed to
>>be kept in userspace has to be reconstructed. That means the kernel has
>>to have all that information; this would include stuff like what kind of
>>umount policy you want for each key entry (the current daemon doesn't do
>>that because it doesn't have the proper state.)
>
> I'm not really sure what you're saying., here. I'm sorry. Not trying to be
> thick, just not understanding.
>
> What umount policy? What state is supposed to be kept in userspace that isn't?

The current autofs daemon, for example, does not handle different
procedures on umount. This is particularly important when you have
mount trees.

>>>The daemon as it stands does NOT handle namespaces, does NOT handle expiry
>>>well, and is a pretty sad copy of an old design.
>>
>>First of all, I'll be blunt: namespaces currently provide zero benefit
>>in Linux, and virtually noone uses them. I have discussed this with
>>Linus in the past, and neither one of us see namespaces as being worth
>
> Let's get rid of them, then. Make life that much easier.

That's what the Linux community is doing, de facto. The Linux userspace
simply is not set up to handle namespaces, and the autofs daemon is no
exception. Consider such a simple thing as /etc/mtab - /proc/mounts
which is necessary for most of the mount(8) functionality to work. It
doesn't support namespaces and really cannot be made to.

namespace support in Linux is at the best a far-off future goal. It is
one thing to put in infrastructure, especially since it has some other
nice benefits; it's another thing to revamp all of userspace to use it;
it's nowhere close and autofs is no exception.

-hpa