Re: 2.6.1-rc1-tiny2

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 02:09:39 EST

Matt Mackall wrote:

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:33:58PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

Matt Mackall wrote:

This is the fourth release of the -tiny kernel tree. The aim of this
tree is to collect patches that reduce kernel disk and memory
footprint as well as tools for working on small systems. Target users
are things like embedded systems, small or legacy desktop folks, and
handhelds.

Have you considered Adrian Bunk's CPU selection rationalisation work?

Vaguely aware of it.

Basically, because the types of x86 cpus are only partially ordered,
and a the CPU selection somehow tries to follow the rule "this CPU or
higher", there ends up being a bit of stuff included which doesn't
need to be. Not sure what the savings add up to though...

The last argument I heard against it was that there is lower hanging
fruit for size reduction. You seem to have got a lot of that.

Yes, a fair amount. Btw, what's the size differential for piggin-sched
vs mainline?

Very little, I think my sched.o is about 40 bytes bigger on UP. Its about
4K bigger for SMP, but thats with quite a bit of init stuff to set up the
sched domains. It also does HT scheduling, and some more of that could be
ifdefed I guess (its already 1-2K smaller than Ingo's shared runqueues).

If you're talking about my interactivity stuff, then that is very little
difference as well, maybe a few tens of bytes smaller. The scheduler is
pretty lean.