Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 20:42:22 EST

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 04:00:15PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> > > Have you even _tried_ udev?
> >
> > Yes, and it works reasonably well. I have version 012 here.
> > Some flaws will be fixed in 013 or so.
>
> What flaws would that be? The short time delay for partitions? Or
> something else?

Yes, partitions are not handled very well.
So far I have never seen udev discover partitions on its own.
I provoke it using "blockdev --rereadpt".
The result is that partitions appear in /proc/partitions and in /udev.
After removing the media another "blockdev --rereadpt" returns
"No such device or address" and the entry in /proc/partitions
disappears, but that in /udev stays.

> > Some difficulties are of a more fundamental type, not so easy to fix.
>
> Such as?

Udev cannot do anything when there are no events.
And media insertion or removal does not always give events.

Andries

[By the way, a compilation warning for every C file:
% make
gcc -pipe -Wall -Wmore.. -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -D_GNU_SOURCE \
-I/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/3.2/include -I.../udev-012/libsysfs
-c -o udev.o udev.c
cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory
"/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/3.2/include"
cc1: warning: as it has already been specified as a non-system directory]