Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Rob Landley
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 19:33:46 EST

On Monday 05 January 2004 17:13, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> An earlier fragment of the discussion was concerned with the fact
> that random(); is a bad idea. Something reproducible is better.

To find people making bad assuptions that will only break after widespread
deployment, random() is much better than "usually reproducible".

> Let us abbreviate the above function f. Some driver determines that
> a disk has serial number A809ADGC. Another driver determines that
> some device was produced by HP but otherwise has no opinion.
> A third driver has no stable information at all about the device.
> They assign device numbers f("A809ADGC"), f("HP"), f("").
>
> What is the result? Yes, device numbers are cookies, but a reasonable
> attempt has been made to make the device numbers stable.

Should the same argument be made about process ID's? When your system boots
up, your daemons generally start in the same order. But any script that
depends on this is broken.

Or filehandles. They're cookies. There's whole pages on why it's a bad idea
to make assumptions about what filehandles point to:

http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/avoid-race.html

> No guarantees anywhere - this is best effort. Better than no effort.

You're suggesting that it should be easier to write things that are
fundamentally unclean, and bake in assumptions that WILL break, but not on
the developer's machine, only for end-users who aren't expecting it.

What's the advantage? Making it easier for people to do something stupid?
(You can sort of trust this thing we can't make any guarantees about. Since
when is "sort of trust" a condition that's encouraged? At the very least,
those kinds of cases are backed up by a detection and recovery mechanism and
the whole thing's called a heuristic.) Why is there a need for this?

Either the kernel can make a guarantee, or it should very much not make a
guarantee. Where is an example of a middle ground?

> And this information helps udev. It may make a callout superfluous,
> or even give udev information that cannot be obtained from userspace.

I'm waiting for the udev maintainer to weight in on this and say "no, it
doesn't". If there is information that "cannot be obtained from userspace",
then we should fix the sysfs exports. Encoding something in a semi-stable
cookie and actually trying to USE that information is stupid.

What about kernel upgrades? Future backwards compatability when developers
change the device enumeration methods? (The sata driver got completely
rewritten from scratch, and now it detects devices in a wildly different
order, but we need this shim layer for backwards compatability with a
guarantee we never should have made because we encouraged old scripts to
remain broken.) This plants hidden land mines restricting future
development. You're basically proposing a whole "device number stabilization
infrastructure" for future kernels if it's to have ANY meaning at all...

Where's the advantage? Name a single real-world case that's more difficult to
fix than it would be to make the kernel pander to it in perpetuity.

> Andries

Rob