Re: [2.6.0-mm2] PM timer still has problems

From: Karol Kozimor
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 17:56:58 EST

Thus wrote john stultz:
> > > If the override boot option failed, its most likely your system doesn't
> > > have an ACPI PM time source. Instead it seems your system is having
> > Well, I don't have the slightest idea on how to determine this, though I
> > read somewhere that all ACPI-compliant systems have those.
> More debug output is probably needed.

I'll be happy to provide it :)

> > > trouble using the PIT as a time source (which seems not all that
> > > uncommon unfortunately).
> > Perhaps, though bear in mind it behaves so only if clock=pmtmr has been
> > appended and works fine with clock=pit.
> Ah, I must have missed that point. Indeed that is very odd. When booting
> without the clock= what time source is used? Does booting w/
> "clock=crazy" also show the problem?

It depends -- generally either PIT (that's 2.4) or TSC, the latter switches
back to PIT once CPUFreq is used. I've never seen any problems with the
bogomips loop or /proc/cpuinfo, except when it could be directly attributed
to CPUFreq bugs.

I booted the following with clock=crazy:
1) 2.6.1-rc1-mm1 with Dmitry's patch: deadlock as before
2) 2.6.0-test11-almost vanilla (Nigel's swsusp patches): passed, results
similar to -rc1-mm1 vanilla, i.e. cpuinfo shows 0 MHz and bogomips is
miscalculated.

So it seems to be a more generic problem.
2.6.1-rc1 is on the way.

Best regards,

--
Karol 'sziwan' Kozimor