Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 17:50:55 EST

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 10:06:25PM +0100, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> That looks very nice. Now, if there were a way how to make the isync
> IMAP connections go over a compressed ssh link (like I'm doing with
> Mutt/IMAP) that'd be very cool.

The following in your .isyncrc file will do the trick:

Mailbox thunk
Box Inbox
Host thunk.org
Tunnel "socat SOCKS4A:127.0.0.1:thunk.org:143 STDIO"

You can also do this via secure IMAP, but then ssh's compression won't
be able to do much. Nevertheless, I do this when synchronizing
against an IMAP server where I don't have ssh access, and where I want
the connection between the thunk.org and po14.mit.edu to be secured.
So I use the following syntax in .isyncrc to achieve to do this:

Mailbox Inbox
Box Inbox
Host imaps:po14.mit.edu
Tunnel "socat SOCKS4A:127.0.0.1:po14.mit.edu:993 STDIO"
UseSSLv2 yes
UseSSLv3 yes
UseTLSv1 yes

- Ted