Re: Weird problems with printer using USB

From: Andrew Walrond
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 16:27:02 EST

On Monday 05 Jan 2004 8:29 pm, DervishD wrote:

> The cable is OK, I've tested with two cables and with a USB
> memory stick and all works ok. Seems like the printer doesn't like to
> have both the parallel cable and the USB cable plugged at the same
> time, but sometimes it worked, so... The final cause seems to be the
> size of the file I want to print. The larger, the more chances to
> fail. I'll try a new cable tomorrow, probably, but I'll give a newer
> kernel a try.

Well yes; both cables I tried worked fine with other devices, but with the
printer (Laserjet 2400) the attenuation was obviously too much. With a 4ft
cable, everything works fine.

Same error messages, and same symtoms, in that the bigger the file, the more
likely the problem was to occur. Once the error had happened, the printer
needed to be power-cycled before more prints would work.

I spent a week before xmas trying all latest kernels and Gregs latest usb
patches, to no avail.

Let me know how it turns out :)

Andrew Walrond