Re: 2.6.0 and Starfire NIC

From: Brian Macy
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 16:19:05 EST

This happened all 3 times I booted into the 2.6 kernel. If there is something you'd like me to try let me know.

Brian Macy

Ion Badulescu wrote:
Hi Brian,

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:48:13 -0800, Brian Macy <bmacy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When switching to 2.6.0 my Starfire NIC fails to function with an entertaining message:
Dec 23 16:36:45 job kernel: eth0: Something Wicked happened! 0x02018101.
Dec 23 16:36:45 job kernel: eth0: Something Wicked happened! 0x02010001.

This says that the card's RX ring is empty. That could be because the driver fails to allocate any descriptors, though that's not very likely. Or it might be a bug...

Does it happen every time you try, or only sometimes?

I don't know if this is related but in 2.4 I get PCI bus congestion for the starfire adapter:
eth0: PCI bus congestion, increasing Tx FIFO threshold to 80 bytes
eth0: PCI bus congestion, increasing Tx FIFO threshold to 96 bytes
eth0: PCI bus congestion, increasing Tx FIFO threshold to 112 bytes
eth0: PCI bus congestion, increasing Tx FIFO threshold to 128 bytes
eth0: PCI bus congestion, increasing Tx FIFO threshold to 144 bytes
eth0: PCI bus congestion, increasing Tx FIFO threshold to 160 bytes

Unrelated. These messages only tell you that the latency on your PCI bus is slightly higher than expected, and the driver is compensating for it.

Ion