Weird problems with printer using USB

From: DervishD
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 14:29:26 EST

Hi all :)

I have a Lexmark E312 laser printer, which comes with both a parallel
port and an USB port. It interprets PostScript, so when I print I
simply 'cat' the file to the printer device (together with some
codes, quite simple). This method works smoothly when using the
printer through the parallel port, no problem, but when I use the USB
port, sometimes I get the following:

kernel: host/usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 682
kernel: printer.c: usblp0: nonzero read/write bulk status received: -110
kernel: printer.c: usblp0: error -84 reading printer status
kernel: printer.c: usblp0: removed

I have shown one of each error messages I get in my system logs.
Normally I get a couple or three of the first message, a few of the
last and a good bunch of the another two. Whenever I get the message
about the 'bulk status', the printer dies and I must turn cycle it.

I'm using kernel 2.4.21, if this matters...

Since the parallel port works OK, I know the printer works. So
the culprit must be:

- The USB interface of the printer. Not likely, but...
- The driver for usblp0
- The driver for USB uhci
- Me (most likely)

Is that a symptom of misconfiguration? Must I do anything more
than a simple cat for printing trhu USB)? Can I tune anything for
getting better timing or the like (if it is a timing problem, of
course...)? I thought that the printer was broken, but when I tested
printing through the parallel port and it worked...

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is documented, I haven't
found any information about this :(

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736