system speed

From: Biplab Sarkar
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 10:21:49 EST

Hi,

I am new to this list. I have a question would be
greatful if anyone answers it.

I have observed that my linux PC (Celeron-633Mhz) runs
significantly slow after I have installed Mandrake-9.2
which has kernel (2.4.22). My earlier kernel was
2.2.22 (mandrake 7.2). The speed seems to be slow
right from the bootup sequence.

I have also observed that if I do an abnormal shutdown
of the system (by pressing the reset button of the
computer) the system speeds up significantly somewhat
comparable to my old kernel speed. Right from the
bootup sequence every thing runs fast.

I have also observed that the CPU utilization is very
high for case when the I try a normal shutdown
followed by a bootup. I could not see any single
process that would be hogging the CPU. It seems like
any process that gets the CPU likes to hog the CPU.

Any idea what is it that is causing the system to run
faster when we have an abnormal shutdown of the
system?

Thanks,
Biplab