Any changes in Multicast code between 2.4.20 and 2.4.22/23 ?

From: Martin Knoblauch
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 10:03:14 EST

>Hi,
>
>besides wishing everybody a Happy new Year 2004, I have one question.
>Have there been any changes in the multicast handling between 2.4.20
>and 2.4.22/23? Maybe specific to the "tg3" driver?
>
>Reason for my question is that the Ganglia monitoring toolkit stopped
>working with 2.4.22/23 kernels. Apparently mulicatst get sent, but
>nothing is received.
>
>Any ideas?
>

>Thanks
>Martin

Hi,

just realized the massive changes between 21 and 22. At least that is
answered :-) Question remains why no MC packets arrive in 2.4.22 and
later (checked with tcpdump). Is there anything that one has to enable
when running a newer kernel?

One diffeernce is the output of "cat /proc/net/igmp". On my 2.4.20
kernel it looks like:

[qx29340@lpsdm16 ~]$ cat /proc/net/igmp
Idx Device : Count Querier Group Users Timer Reporter
1 lo : 0 V2
010000E0 1 0:F63C1223 0
2 eth0 : 1 V2
010000E0 1 0:F63C1225 0
3 eth1 : 2 V2
470B02EF 1 0:F63C2428 1
010000E0 1 0:F63C1225 0

While on 2.4.22/23 it looks like:

qx29340@lpsdm20 linux-2.4.23-1-msc]$ cat /proc/net/igmp
Idx Device : Count Querier Group Users Timer Reporter
1 lo : 0 V2
010000E0 1 0:FFFE5D5D 0
2 eth0 : 1 V2
010000E0 1 0:FFFE5D5D 0
3 eth1 : 2 V2
470B02EF 1 0:FFFF8D5D 0
010000E0 1 0:FFFE5D5D 0

The difference seems to be the "reporter" flag for the 470B02EF
multicast group, which is exactely the adrress Ganglia uses.

Any ideas
Cheers
Martin
PS: Moved to linux-net