Re: Kernel panic.. in 3.0 Enterprise Linux

From: Kresimir Sparavec
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 07:44:01 EST

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:24:38PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:56, neel vanan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The kernel I have working is version 2.4.21-4.EL and I
> > can still boot up to that. I compiled a 2.6.0 version
> > and installed it in exactly the same way that the old
> > version is, just appending 2.6.0 to the end of the
> > file. so when I reboot I get a boot screen that shows:
> >
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux As-up (2.4.21-4.EL)
> > Red Hat linux (2.6.0)
>
> RHEL3 isn't quite 2.6 ready btw; you need to update quite a few packages
> to get it working right.

could you please summarize which ones? i upgraded modutils and modified
rc.sysinit for usb support. the rest works unmodified (except NVIDIA
proprietary kernel driver which does not have 2.6.x support yet, but XFree86
driver works fine for me) as far as i can tell. i got exactly 0 (zero)
kernel panics up to now. compared with 2.4.0 few years ago, 2.6.0 works
like charm