2.6.0 under vmware ?

From: Xavier Bestel
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 05:08:08 EST

Hi,

I have problems running 2.6.0 under vmware (4.02 and 4.05). I did a
basic debian/sid install, then installed various 2.6.0 kernel images
(with or without initrd, from debian (-test9 and -test11) or self-made
(stock 2.6.0).
They all make /sbin/init (from sysvinit 2.85) segfault at a particular
address (I haven't yet recompiled it with -g to see where, but a
dissassembly shows it's a "ret").
I try booting to /bin/sh from the initrd, and there I can play with the
shell, mount the alternate root, play with commands there, and then exec
/sbin/init, but it segfaults at the same point.

Has anyone managed to make a basic debian with 2.6 work under vmware ?
Has anyone managed to make another distro with 2.6 work under vmware ?

Thanks, and happy new year to everyone,

Xav