PROBLEM: Agpgart and DMA -> Hang on 2.6.1-rc1-mm1

From: Peter Meier
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 20:22:27 EST

Hi,

Kernel 2.6.1-rc1-mm1, 2.6.0-mm1 and 2.6.0 do not work for me when I enable
DMA for
harddisks and try to load agpgart and agp-amd-k7 (either as modules or
compiled into the kernel). Symptoms are that the modules get loaded
correct, and I can say "ls" in the terminal, but after a short time,
e.g. if I login in a new console, I'm getting a dma_timer_expiry.

I can load agpgart and compile for hours without problems, but as soon
as I load amd-k7-agp, systems stops working.

I'm still abled to change console, but I cant do anything. If I disable
automatic DMA in the kernel, the problem goes away. So I'm either with a
slow harddrive or without 3D acceleration, both is not good. AGP
aperture is set to 256MB. If I compile kernel debugging, I dont see anything
special in the logfile.

System: 2 x Athlon-MP 2400; Asus A7M266-D, 512 MB, stripped down all
unneeded stuff, so its just ATI Radeon 9500 Pro, 1 Harddisk, 3c59x
network card.

I attached lspci -vvv, /proc/ioports, kernel .config

With kind regards, Peter