Re: Suspected bug in fs/ufs/inode.c - test for < 0 on unsigned sector_t - [2.6.1-rc1-mm1]

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 17:18:51 EST

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Tim Cambrant wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:45:56PM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> >
> > Is this analysis correct? If it is, can the code simply be removed?
>
> It does seem odd, but indeed, a confirmation from someone with authority
> would be nice before digging in to a cleanup-process like this. Try
> e-mailing
> the maintainer of the code directly, since it doesn't seem like anyone
> feels like wasting any time on this :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is odd. I'll try
emailing the maintainers of the filesystems directly and see what response
I get.

> Nice job on the discovery though,

Thank you.

> if this is true, these things really
> should
> be removed.

I just want to find out what is actually going on and why that code was
put there in the first place before I start changing/removing anything.
Currently I'm digging on my own but haven't come up with much yet - except
that the same code seems to be used in some other filesystems as well (as
I note in a reply to my initial mail)...
I'll keep digging.

/Jesper Juhl