Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Mark Mielke
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 15:51:20 EST

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 08:54:36PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> ISTR that SunOS 4.0 handled an NFS-mounted /dev and swap just fine
> some 15 years ago? (in fact, due to performance differences between
> the disks on a Sun3/ 2xx server and the shoebox disk on a 3/50, you
> could page faster over the net than to a local /dev/swap).

Whether it did at some point, or whether it didn't, doesn't really matter.

It doesn't need to, and with the amount of memory that most computers come
with these days, remote access storage for tiny kernel data structures, like
that which would be required for tmpfs /dev that is only populated with the
devices that actually exist, just isn't worth it.

> So it's more a case of "we have decided to do it differently" than
> "that's so nuts that it shouldn't be expected to work"....

I was saying "why do you think this is a good model?" not "I can't imagine
why you would do it..." :-) Sorry it didn't come across as I intended.

mark

--
mark@xxxxxxxxx/markm@xxxxxx/markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/