Re: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!

From: Martin Schlemmer
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 09:41:56 EST

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 14:45, Con Kolivas wrote:

> > > Scheduling problem, yes; of a sort.
> > >
> > > Solution by altering the scheduler, no.
> > >
> > > My guess is that turning the xterm graphic candy up or down will change
> > > the balance. Trying to be both gui intensive and a console is where it's
> > > happening. On some hardware you are falling on both sides of the fence
> > > with 2.6 where previously you would be on one side.
> >
> > So its Ok for 'eye candy' to 'lag', but xmms should not skip? Anyhow,
> > its xterm that he have issues with, not gnome-terminal or such with
> > transparency. I smell something ...
>
> Sigh...
>
> Xmms was a simple test case long forgotten but most still think all I did was
> make an xmms scheduler. Deleting one character from sched.c before all of my
> patches would make the scheduler ideal for xmms. Any braindead idiot can tune
> a scheduler for just one application.

Well, its the favorite example 8)

> An application that changes it's
> behaviour dynamically well in the setting of a particular scheduler, though?
> Should a scheduler be tuned to suit a coding style or quirk?

But the scheduler changes to a particular application? I still am of
opinion that the current scheduler in mainline 'breaks' priorities ...
call it dynamic tuning or whatever you like. Now something gets
priority while something else starves.

> I should go back to lurking before people start calling me names. This thread
> has gone long enough for that. If I hadn't said anything it would have died
> out by now.

Well, I have stayed out of this for months now, as its always 'they' at
fault - that app, or piece of code. Sure, I am one of those whining
users, and I have no particular interest in the scheduler code - that
is if it behaves like it should. But whatever is in now, just do not
behave as expected, and call it a feature or whatever you want, if it
deviates the definition, then what should we call it? Or if its a
feature, can we have the weirdness in priorities disabled by default
with a sysctl or sysfs switch?

> Instead I'm drawing attention to my fundamentally flawed code.

The scrolling is but one part. Just starting an app, or running
'vim /etc/fstab' for example takes ages some times, even with
minimal load. If xterm, gnome-term, aterm, multi-gnome-term,
etc is broken, how do we fix it then? What about some of the
other issues? If its a problem with those apps, why is it I still
wonder what they are doing wrong, and it not fixed?

Do not worry, _I_ will go back to lurking about this issue _again_,
but after _once_again_ seeing a issue about this being blown off
as being something wrong with 'it', and some facts (you did see
that the skipping code for the other user _never_ kicked in)
were just ignored, I just could not help myself - sorry.

At least I will not experience those issues of the others, and
hopefully Nick will not stop his work, or things change too much
to adapt his patch.

Thanks,

--
Martin Schlemmer