Re: 2.6.1-rc1-mjb1

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 20:49:38 EST

>> The patchset contains ... oh hell, anything I feel like putting in it.
>> It's meant to be pretty stable - performance should be better than mainline,
>> particularly on larger machines.
>>
>> I'd be very interested in feedback from anyone willing to test on any
>> platform, however large or small.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mbligh/2.6.1-rc1/patch-2.6.1-rc1-mjb1.bz2
>
> Hi there...
>
> Have you thought in doing a patch-2.6.1-rc1-mm1-mjb1 and continuing to make a
> patchset to the -mm sources?

I considered it once, for about 30s - the answer was no. For one, Andrew
moves way too fast for me to keep up with. For another, he has different
objectives - he basically runs a testing tree, whereas I want to go for
something more stable, with cherry picked enhancements (mostly performance
and serviceability stuff).

There's a fair amount of common code between the two trees, which I try
to keep pretty much in sync between the two - I pick up changes he makes
from his latest trees, and send him changes I make.

M.