Re: Three kernel Oops/panic/BUG ksymoopses (kernel BUG atbuffer.c:539)

From: Erik Bourget
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 16:53:25 EST

Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@xxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Erik Bourget wrote:
>
>> I had a very bizarre situation where four boxes in the same rack all
>> simultaneously (within 30 minutes) hard-locked with Oops messages. The
>> boxes
>
> An obvious idea - after reading an article about a break-in into Debian
> and others' boxes - sure you weren't cracked?

Yeah, that was a concern and I'm relatively sure that's not the case because

*) chkrootkit says so (mod some hidden processes that are reported by a bug in
chkrootkit according to Google)

*) The crashy boxes were all installed with 2.4.23, not upgraded, so the big
Debian vulnerability didn't exist

*) The only open ports to the outside world are running SMTP and POP3 as
non-root no-shell accounts, and it's running qmail which seems simple and
safe enough.

- Erik Bourget