Re: 2.6.0 performance problems

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 14:55:53 EST

Samium Gromoff wrote:
Reality sucks.

People are ignorant enough to turn blind eye to obvious vm regressions.

No developers run 64M boxens anymore...

Developers shound NOT be running slow machines, but they should be testing slow machines. I do my builds on a four way Xeon machine, and install on a slow machine for test.

If you look at some of the response testing I'm doing, it's one a 96MB p3-350, just for that reason. And I have a P5-133 I built but haven't really benchmarked yet, it has only 64MB. I think the place such slow machines are relevant is embedded, which is why I occasionally rant about locking in code to hide Athlon CPU bugs which just wastes space on unbroken machines.

I have a pile of 486 machines I want to run as firewalls, don't plan to do kernel builds on those, either :-(

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc